Today is Ash Wednesday – launching a time of prayer, reflection and repentance, marking the first day of lent. The ash normally comes from the palm branches of the previous year’s Palm Sunday celebration.
Tomorrow is the anniversary of the printing of Gutenberg’s Bible in 1455 – there are only 48 known surviving copies…12 of them are printed on animal skins. Three of them reside at the Morgan Library and Museum in New York City.
MVNU men’s basketball opens the postseason tonight against Huntington in the Crossroads League Quarterfinals. Jonathon and Dylan will be on the call. You can hear student assistant coach Ryan Wolfe at halftime for Cougar Conversations. Pregame tonight at 6:45!
- I was born February 22, 1934, in Bridgewater, South Dakota.
- I was a player in the Brooklyn Dodgers organization, but never made it to the Major Leagues.
- I began my managerial career in the minor leagues in 1964
- I managed the Cincinnati Reds for 9 seasons, leading them to back-to-back World Series victories in 1975 and 1976.
- In 1984, I became the manager of the Detroit Tigers, and led them to a World Series victory that first season
- I retired in 1995 with 2,194 wins
- I was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000
- I passed away on November 4, 2010, at the age of 76.
I am George “Sparky” Anderson. Congratulations to Jerry from Fredericktown, who guessed correctly and wins a copy of the Action Bible – Easter Edition!
Thanks for listening!
– Joe and Dylan