Today Todd and I talked about a very important thing that is happing here in Knox County
Now in its 37th year, Food for the Hungry is an annual drive that collects food and revenue for the Knox County branches of The Salvation Army and Interchurch Social Services. These agencies, in turn, use the donations to help Knox County families with basic necessities throughout the year. 100% of all donations to Food For the Hungry stay in Knox County. The drive culminates in an eight- hour live television, radio, and web broadcast.
Food For The Hungry began as a food and money drive on WMVO radio to benefit Interchurch Social Services and the Salvation Army in 1982. Long-time WMVO morning show host Charlie Kilkenny started the drive with the help of his wife, Carol, and businesses at the Mount Vernon Shopping Plaza (now the Kroger Plaza). Mount Vernon Cablevision joined in sponsoring the drive the next year. The drive grew into a partnership between the radio stations and other media (WNZR, Mount Vernon News) in 1995, and added Mount Vernon Nazarene University (who sponsored a basketball tournament) and the accounting services of Nelson & Nelson one year later.
Drop off location:
- 2 p.m. – 8 p.m. Floral Valley Community Center (collecting until December 31st)
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Dollar General, Hometown Market and the Post Office* (Cash Only)
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Interchurch Office
- 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. First Knox National Bank and Killbuck Savings Bank
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Hometown Market and Interchurch Office
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Danville Family Dollar* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31)
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Don Leos Market* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31)
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Danville Post Office* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31). They will also be open 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. on Saturday 12/8
- 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. The Hang-Out* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31)
- 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. The Bender* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31)
- 6 a.m. – 10 p.m. McFadden’s Hot Spot Pizza* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31)
- 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. Subway* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31)
- 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Brinkhaven Post Office* (Cash Only, Collecting 12/1 – 12/31). They will also be open 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Saturday 12/8
- 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Interchurch Office and Fredericktown Library
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Village Market
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Dollar General* (Cash only, collecting from 12/1 – 12/31)
- 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. Spearman’s Restaurant* (Cash only, collecting from 12/1 – 12/31)
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Aldi, Kroger, Lanning’s Foods, Baker’s IGA, Rural King and Wal-Mart Supercenter
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Memorial Building
For all of the other information, you can head to any of these sites!
Thank you so much for checking out our blog!
Hannah and Todd
Leave a Reply