Today for Who Knew Wednesday we shared about another ‘W’ food. Walnuts are a favorite nut for many people and here is a fun recipe for try at home!
CANDIED WALNUTS INGREDIENTS:
To make this candied walnuts recipe, you will need:
- Walnuts: About 4 cups raw walnut halves (or chopped walnuts).
- Egg white: To bind the candy coating to the walnuts.
- Vanilla extract: Just a little for flavor!
- Brown sugar: I used packed brown sugar, but you could also sub in white (granulated) sugar or coconut sugar instead.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon plus a hint of cayenne.
- Fine sea salt: My preferred salt for this recipe. (Note that if you choose to use table salt instead, you will need to use less salt.)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (12 ounces) raw walnut halves
- Heat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and cayenne until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg white and vanilla until combined. Add the walnuts and toss until they are evenly coated with the egg white mixture. Add the brown sugar mixture and toss until the walnuts are evenly coated.
- Spread the walnuts out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven, and give the walnuts a brief stir. Return to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
Who Am I? Who Knew Trivia:
– I was born on this date in 1986 in Seattle.
– I was signed to Forefront Records when I was 12
– My first album, Genuine, released when I was 14
– I sang the song “There’s Got to Be More to Life”
– I’m also known for the singles, “Stuck” and “Don’t Look at Me”
– I was nominated for a Grammy in 2004
– I took a hiatus from 2008-2012 and have done occasional concerts and appearances since then
The answer? Stacie Orrico – congratulations to Karen from Mount Vernon who answered correctly and wins the $5 gift card to Everlasting Cup!
Thanks for listening!
– Joe and Alyssa
Leave a Reply